Rhian & Ben Martin
What year was your team founded?
Where does your team call home?
How many members?
What is your team’s focus (e.g. Road races, crits, TT’s, stage races, drinking beer and eating pizza, missing race starts, having fun etc.)?
1. Racing and winning global swimrun events and raising the awareness of the swimrun race format to the UK audience.
2. Maintaining our world No. 1 ranking for as long as we can.
3. Staying married!
What is the strangest thing that has happened to, or within, your team?
Swimming in our trainers, running in our wetsuit, tied together, whilst what we thought was a shark was swimming underneath us.
Does your team have a local claim to fame (e.g. most stylish kits, biggest riders, most likely to win a fight in the car park)?
Married couple who tie themselves together!
Do you promote an annual race?
We focus on the Otillo Swimrun World Championships & World Series, but will be add other Swimrun's in to 2018 events. We are also looking at racing some trailed based, coastal ultra marathons (tied together!) and some long distance swim events. We've been invited to race at the Zone3 sponsored Isle of Scilly swim event through 2018.
Notable recent results?
No1 mixed team in World – Swimrun rankings
• No1 team in UK (all categories)
• World Series Bronze at 1000 Lakes, Germany (mixed team) – 33K Run, 7.5K Swim
• World Series Bronze Isle of Scilly (mixed team) – 30K Run, 8K Swim
• 10th mixed team in World Swimrun Championship – 65K Run, 10K Swim, Top British team overall
Anything else you would like to add about your team?
We are married with 2 young children and run 2 businesses around kids & training.
We started The Hughes Sport Foundation to help young athletes and have advised the charities SCOPE & Macmillian on helping people raise funds through sporting events.
We are successful in spotting high-potential athletes, having sponsored Non Stanford before she became world ITU Triathlon champion.